Task chairs fitted with a Synchro mechanism, or “synchronous” chairs, promote Dynamic Sitting.
Synchro mechanisms are mechanical swivel & tilt devices that allow the angle of the chair backrest and seat to change in a fixed ratio. A synchro mechanism will ensure that the movement of the backrest is always greater than that of the seat. Typically synchro mechanisms operate with a 2:1 ratio that moves the backrest 2 degrees for every 1 degree of movement in the seat.
Synchro mechanisms improve Ergonomic Comfort through:
- Dynamic Sitting. By moving the backrest and seat relative to each other and in a fixed ratio, the muscles in the lumbar region of your back are automatically stimulated. This stimulation increases the blood flow through these muscles and alleviates lower back pain commonly associated with long periods of static sitting. It has long been acknowledged that ergonomic comfort is improved by dynamic sitting.
- Dynamic back support. In the free-float position, the chair is dynamic and the backrest provides continual back support by remaining in contact with your back and moving with you.
- Tension Adjustment. A tension adjuster allows you to adjust the amount of tension required to suit your body weight.
A weight-sensitive synchro mechanism automatically adjusts to your body weight.
- Locked or Free-Float. You can lock our synchro mechanisms in up to 5 positions, or allow them to free-float.
- Synchro mechanisms are fitted on all our Task chairs.